On Wednesday 23 July 2003 23:07, Frederic Bouvier wrote:
> Lee Elliott wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 July 2003 21:02, Frederic Bouvier wrote:
> > > I was thinking about scaling for gear actuators too. Would it be
> > > possible to scale along an arbitrary axis ? possibly with 3 different
> > > scale factors, or is it beyond the scope of this change ?
> > >
> > > -Fred
> >
> > I don't think you'd really _want_ to use scaling for animating parts of an
> a/c
> > model because those parts dont actually change size in real life.  Do
> they?
>
> No. I just want to cheat, designing only one part when an actuator
> has at least two.
>
> > At least, the only things I can think of off-hand that actually changed
> size
> > were the inflatable engine intake edges on very early Harriers.
> >
> > It would be better to try to figure out how the mechanism you're trying to
> > animate actually works, which for fixed size parts is going to consist of
> > translations and rotations, and try to duplicate that.  This can actually
> > make things more consistent and help you out because you know the 'real'
> > mechanism worked.
>
> Yes, it is possible to make 2 parts translating but is is sometimes more
> tedious.
> Look at the main gear of the A320 when retracting to see what I mean. There
> is
> no translation yet but combining rotations by hand and calculator is already
> pain.
>
> > Trying to mimic the mechanism will also make it possible to simulate
> failures
> > more accurately - not necessarily the most obvious consideration but it's
> > strong 'plus' feature.
>
> -Fred

A few things that I find can really help when working on animations are a) get
the x, y & z locations of the axis end points from the 3d prog - then it's
relatively easy to get the angles right, b) temporarily bind the animation to
one of your joystick axis - then you can test the animations while parked on
the ground and you've got better control over them, and c) while you're
checking axis angles and locations use a factor of 359 so you get a full
rotation about the axis - this makes the location and orientation of the axis
a bit clearer to me.

Sometimes the order in which you place the animations is vital.

What would be great would be a little stand-alone prog we could load the
models into just for animation purposes.  Even just for checking it would be
a help but it wouldn't require much more to turn it into an editor.

Completely beyond my capabilities though;)

LeeE