On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 17:46, Julian Foad wrote:
> Matthew Law wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of which, would it be possible to change the texture above a
> > certain height AGL?  We could have a texture with more detail for low
> > altitudes and a shinier, more gaussian texture for higher altitudes...
> > Just like real grass and short crops.
>
> Grass rarely reaches more than one meter AGL :-)  Different textures for
> grass growing at different altitudes AMSL would make some sense, but I
> think you are talking about changing the material properties of the
> ground cover according to the aircraft's height AGL ...  but that
> shouldn't make a difference to the shininess or the sharpness of the
> specular reflection (which is what I am guessing you mean by "more
> gaussian"; do I misunderstand?).

I didn't explain myself very well and I've had some more thoughts on
this:

When you are sat on the runway you can see more detail in the grass
itself.  This could be conveyed with a different texture (since
modelling grass blades would be a tad expensive!) which would change to
another texture with less detail further away.

'Further away' as in distance; having thought about it, since even when
you are sat at ground level you can't see detail in the grass a few
hundred metres away. I also agree that all foliage should change with
variations in altitude and latitude but that's a big change I would have
thought...

The reference I made to specularity was that to my eyes anyway, grass
looks slightly 'shinier' at lower altitudes.  This is especially so when
it's wet of course.  This is apparent when descending under a parachute
since you spend a lot of time concentrating on the landing area which is
usually grass.  I don't seem to see the same effect with straight
distance at ground level.

Does this sound familiar? or is it just my eyes and I'm talking rubbish
here... ;-)

All the best,

Matt