Andy Ross

> David Megginson wrote:
> > I've been spending a bit of time on the PA-28 model in
> YASim, and one
> > problem is that the engine idles far too fast sitting still on the
> > ground (around 1000 rpm, instead of 600-650 rpm).  Is there
> any simple
> > parameter I can tune to slow it down a bit?
>
> Not really.  The propeller torque near zero airspeed is just
> too low right now.  I'm really happy with the way the
> existing propeller model works under normal cases; it works
> backwards from an efficiency curve to come up with a model
> that produces good physics for simple inputs without going
> wacky in some important regime.  It's not good with edge
> cases, though.
>
> One option would be to port another engine/propeller model
> onto the existing yasim::Thruster interface.  This might not
> follow the "solution from known performance" idiom, but for
> the case of a single aircraft can probably be tuned to work better.
>
> Short term, we could try to hack in a "idle speed" or
> "minimum torque coefficient" or somesuch too, although even
> that is probably going to be difficult.
>
> > What do we need to do to get YASim to publish convincing values for
> > these properties for piston engines?
> >   /engines/engine[*]/oil-pressure-psi
> >   /engines/engine[*]/oil-temperature-degf
> >   /engines/engine[*]/fuel-pressure-psi
>
> I'm not quite sure what convincing values for these
> properties would be.  The pressures are pump-driven and are,
> or should be, static under normal conditions, right?  The oil
> temperature can probably be driven by a low-pass-filtered
> output power.  Maybe a tiny bit of YASim-specific Nasal glue
> is what's required here.

So far as oil-pressure-psi is concerned a normalised number increasing with
rpm should do the trick - we can then set max/min values. Oil temperature
hmmmm - a function of OAT and rpm and any movable cowling - too engine
specific - too difficult?

 > > Once YASim is running, it takes control of the
> > /consumables/fuel/tank[*]/level-gal_us property (as well as the
> > associated weight property) and will not accept changes.
> To simulate
> > refueling, either in the ground or on the air, it would be
> nice to be
> > able to change these values dynamically inside a FlightGear session.
>
> This one is much easier to fix.  I proposed a Nasal-driven
> fuel system a few months back, and still have half-finished
> YASim support for it sitting in my build tree.  The basic
> idea is that YASim merely exports an ever-increasing
> "consumed fuel" number for each engine.  The Nasal code then
> poll this at some sane frequency (maybe 3 Hz), inspects
> configuration, subtracts the fuel from the appropriate tanks,
> sets engine out-of-fuel flags, and finally resets the
> consumed fuel numbers to zero.  YASim then just reads the
> fuel quantities for mass calculation only.
>
> The best part is that this can be done portably.  The
> consumed fuel properties will be missing for non-YASim
> aircraft and the script can simply disable itself.  And for
> the future, arbitrarily complicated fuel flow schemes can be
> implemented entirely in Nasal with no FDM support needed.

That's very sophisticated. All I need is the ability to set fuel values, but
this would be very interesting.

> I'll try to get this working tonight.

Thank you

Regards