Matthew Law wrote:

Is it usual to make the approach or initial climb-out with the mixture set full rich and prop fine in your aircraft? I'm just wondering because it's part of the downwind and pre-take off checks for the aircraft I fly (although I skip over the prop check because it's not CS).

For takeoff the mixture should be set for maximum power.. aka on a hot day or at high altitude, if you put the mixture full forward, you will actually decrease the amount of power available and increase your takeoff distance..

For landing it is advisable to make sure that your mixture is rich enough to do a go around with full power.

Ryan