On Thursday 04 March 2004 01:16, Ryan Larson wrote:
> Matthew Law wrote:
> > Is it usual to make the approach or initial climb-out with the mixture
> > set full rich and prop fine in your aircraft?  I'm just wondering
> > because it's part of the downwind and pre-take off checks for the
> > aircraft I fly (although I skip over the prop check because it's not CS).
>
> For takeoff the mixture should be set for maximum power.. aka on a hot
> day or at high altitude, if you put the mixture full forward, you will
> actually decrease the amount of power available and increase your
> takeoff distance..
>
> For landing it is advisable to make sure that your mixture is rich
> enough to do a go around with full power.
>
> Ryan

I've got problems with the mixture on the Comper Swift, if anyone could have a
look at it.

The mixture needs to be set to about half of what I'd expect and the fuel
consumption seems to be about double the figures I got for the engine.  Other
than that, the engine power and rpms are about right.

I can't help thinking this might be due to the geared prop as the ratios seem
close.

LeeE