Matthew Law wrote:

Is it usual to make the approach or initial climb-out with the mixture set full rich and prop fine in your aircraft? I'm just wondering because it's part of the downwind and pre-take off checks for the aircraft I fly (although I skip over the prop check because it's not CS).

Like the Archer, the Warrior has a fixed-pitch prop. You have to go up to the Archer (or the now-discontinued Pathfinder) to get a CS prop on a PA-28.

For constant-speed props, there are a lot of people who argue that, while you should take off at max RPM, climb-out with the prop at maximum RPM is not that great an idea, while approach at max RPM is downright moronic (it just makes a lot of noise and pisses off the general public, who then proceed to try to close the airport). I highly recommend that you spend a few evenings reading John Deakin's engine articles (start from the oldest ones at the bottom):

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182146-1.html

For the record, I fly lean of peak, wide-open throttle regularly in cruise -- my engine runs cooler, I burn a lot less gas to produce the same power (about 8.5 gph instead of 10 gph), my spark plugs don't foul, and the risk of CO poisoning virtually vanishes, so there's not much to dislike about it.

All the best,

David