http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frbouvi/flightsim/fg-multip-lvl0.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frbouvi/flightsim/fg-multip-lvl1.jpg

>  2 - translucent aircraft surfaces are blended with clouds but with
>      problem with underlying 3d static objects ( clouds between the
>      propeller disc and 3d objects are not seen )
>
>  3 - total correctness

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frbouvi/flightsim/fg-multip-lvl2-1.jpg
the propeller disc doesn't appear well on overcast so the same over
broken to show that it is still there :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frbouvi/flightsim/fg-multip-lvl2-2.jpg

> Perhaps 2 and 3 can be collapsed with no extra cost.

Yes, they can, it is just a matter of drawing the aircraft after the other
models

In this area of the world, there is no impact on framerate with my
hardware setup. At KSFO though, the difference is real.

-Fred