On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:45:16 +0200
Arnt Karlsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...which forces the obligation on your part to provide the source to
> whomever you provides your modification to.  And, doing contract
> work for them on their HW, you probably have complied to the GPL
> here.  ;-)

The modifications of the code I've done at home are mine, and I wanted
them to be licensed under the GPL. No problem here.

> ..they hired you to do contract work or some such?  No need for a
> long "flame war", the laws may well be differeing between our
> countries on how copyright laws applies to this and the GPL.

Err... actually, I'm part of the organization. And copyright laws in
France are probably not out of the ordinary.

However, on a side note, there has been an article recently in "Linux
Magazine" (published in France) by someone studying law who wrote that
the GPL might be considered illegal in France, because you can't
transfer all distribution rights for an unlimited period of time (it's
like a contract and has to end sometime, this was done to protect other
intellectual works, art and the such). I hope the FSF (and French LUGs)
will find some way to rewrite the GPL for France / Europe and other
countries, because the solution is probably to have a different GPL
license if the law is different, it would be less elegant yet maybe
safer.

--
Jorge Van Hemelryck