On 22 Apr 2004, at 09:24, Erik Hofman wrote:

Go with SDL's sound support. SDL itself supports OpenAL giving best of both worlds.

This is not quite right, I think; like OpenGL, SDL can use OpenAL, but it doesn't wrap the OpenAL API.

In general, I think OpenAL would be a big improvement, not least because it uses CoreAudio (modern) vs the Sound manager (old) on OS-X; I've looked into updating PLIB's snd code, but it's not a fun task. And besides, the doppler effects and such would be cool. Another more noticeable one for me is hearing the engine sound change as I pan around the aircraft in an external view...

H&H
James

PS - Congrats to Jon Stockhill and co on a truly excellent demo of Flightgear at this year's Linux User & Developer Expo, which I just got back from.