David Luff helped some more

I renamed the file openal.tar.gz and extracted the files - seemed like it
made no difference.

> > I've downloaded the latest Simgear - compiles OK, no warnings.
> >
> > I've downloaded the latest FlightGear, made the changes. Configure
> > reports
> > with:
> >
> > Checking for library containing alGenBuffers ... No
> >

> I also get this - don't worry about it!  It's because the
> correct (Norman's) openal libs for cygwin aren't getting set
> in the configure script yet, so configure's tests can't
> possibly find them.  Obviously this is something that will
> have to be fixed shortly.

I thought that was likely.

> > Then fails with
> >
> > Config.status: creating \
> > .infig.status: error:cannot find input file.
> >

> It's possible that you haven't modified your
> src/Main/Makefile.am properly.  All lines of fgfs_LDADD
> should have a \ at the end of them EXCEPT for the last line.
> Have you added a \ at the end of the last fgfs_LDADD line? Or
> removed one of the preceding ones.  The space before each
> entry *must* be a tab I believe, not spaces.  If *is* the
> src/Main Makefile.am you've modified yes, not the top-level
> one?  If all else fails then remove the modified Makefile.am,
> recheck-out the original, make sure configure completes, and
> *then* modify it, and then you'll know its your mods that are
> the culprit if it fails again.

I downloaded the most recent CVS version, with the modifications already
made, and I still get

Config.status: creating \
.infig.status: error:cannot find input file.

I went back to the downloaded source code for 0.9.4 - that compiles OK.

Any more ideas? A file locked up somewhere?

Thanks for you help so far.

Vivian