Thanks Lee

Lee Elliott writes

Are you trying to do the passenger cabin windows or the cockpit windows?

Both

For the cockpit/flightdeck, you're really going to have to model the windows
and frames - this can be tricky work but it's really the only way to get a
decent VC environment.

What I have now is not bad and will do till the VC is done.

For the passenger cabin windows, I think it's better not to make them transparent at all and fake them with a suitable picture or just a colour shade - usually a simple dark black-blue colour is ok.

I can do that but will have a play and see how close I can get.It if it still
looks bad I will do what you say.Its just a matter of changing the mask.

The problem with trying to make windows using transparency is that when you
look through the windows from the outside, looking into the fuselage, you'll
be seeing the back-face of the polys making up the other side of the
fuselage. If you're using single-sided polys the other side of the fuselage
will not be rendered, so you'll see straight through to the land or sky
behind - looks odd. I can't remember exactly what happens if you use
double-sided polys, but think there were problems with that approach too,
quite apart from increasing the render work-load.

The size of the model does not seem to effect frame rates in FG.I get nearly
the same rate if I use the cessna or the an225.I have tried with the fuselage
double sided and single sided the frame rates seem to be the same.

Splitting the fuselage into left and right hand sides only works from one side
- the order is wrong from the other side.

Trying to do the cockpit using transparency brings all the above problems plus
the inevitable 'fade' between transparent and non-transparent objects.

I guess we will be able to see how bad this is when I give the model to
David Culp for the hangar.I think the airplane folder is big enough already in the
base package.

LeeE

Cheers Innis