On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 07:23:21AM -0700, martin pardee wrote:
> manuel,
>
> my
> (original) primary motivation was to obtain (buy) enough hardware that i could
> have a Fsim that closely resembled the cockpit of the plane i fly ( a piper
> cherokee 180).
>

> the costs on this approach would easily cover the amount i spend on the anual
> inspection for the airplane.  not a good choice. so...
> that left me with building my own.  after examining (and purchasing) 2 other
> comnmercially avaialable flight sims, i decided that the only practical
> solution was to work with a sim that permitted me access to internals.
>
> that's how i ended up pestering all of you...
>
> :)
> martin

For the hardware part, there's a whole (heavily MSFS biased) community
of "home cockpit builders". There are a few forums where we 'hang out'
and exchange tips and ideas.
We've also setup a wiki for that kind of stuff:
  http://wiki.varxec.net

My co-builder Stephen is currently working on his C172 radio replicas:
  http://cockpit.varxec.net/stephen/gal/xpdr_galleryidx.html

Believe me, the way he builds the stuff is one of the cheapest possible :-)

Regards,
Manuel