Curtis L. Olson wrote:
Erik Hofman wrote:

Personally, I would be in favor of using angles to describe the positions of left/right aileron, elevator, rudder and nose/tail wheel.

Please, not for the wheels. Really.

It doesn't probably matter too much for 3d animation if your conversion factor get's you close.

There is another thing, all doors, struts and support bars are animated based on the gear extension. While the main gear extension might be perfectly valid in degrees, converting supports struts/bars will be a whole lot more complicated.

(And If you don't believe me, start to work on the gear animations of the Fokker-50 in degrees (0 - 90 degrees). If you manage to get that working we could start talking again).

Erik