Chris Metzler wrote:

I already have a python script for pushing the magic carpet around
from lat/lon to lat/lon in FG for extracting ground elevations.  If
it seems to you like a reasonable thing for me to do, I'll start
generating ground elevations for chunks of this dataset?  There
are over 100,000 objects in the FAA's Digital Obstruction File, so
it's bound to take a while.  If there's an ASCII format you'd
prefer to get the data in, I'd like to see a line or two of it so
that I can send stuff to you in a way that's simplest for you.
Also, if there's a particular subset of the data (e.g. cooling
towers) you'd like to see first, that's easy enough to do as well.

Actually, I have a script which measures ground elevation in just the way you mention, and all objects are inserted into the database with an elevation of -9999, these are then batch updated by the script - this isn't to say that you couldn't submit it complete with heights though (although it'd make sense to ensure we're using the same scenery version).

Before I moved to using the database I held all this info in plain text files, 1 record per line, with colon seperated fields. Lat/Lon was combined into a single position field (space seperated) so that the same field can also be used for grid references. So you'd have:

or

Importing data formatted like that is incredibly simple.

--
Jon Stockill