Hi Ampere,

>> AC3D is a basic 3D modeller wich works with .ac files. It seems easy though
>> not very stable. There's a free trial version. I will find out if
>> registering is worth. Any other suggestions?
>

> Since you have experience with 3D Studio, you may want to use GMax:
> http://www4.discreet.com/gmax/
>
> It has all the functionality you will ever need. Best of all, it doesn't need any money.

That's good, seems pretty much more powerfull then AC3D. But no, I was used to 3D Studio (old Dos version) not to 3DS-Max whose interface style is very similar to the GMax one. Anyway, GMax has plenty of docs and I will mainly use only basic tools (it's good to see that boolean operations are fully implemented, AC3D doesn't).

1st problem: GMax does import 3ds files but does not export, should I get some additional sort of plugin? How do you do that?

   thx,
     Roberto