On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:29:05 -0600, Curtis wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Are we a bunch of old cranky developers (it looks that way sometimes!) :-)

..delurking... ;o)

> inching along at a snails pace, or are we a dynamic exciting group with fast
> paced development continually adding new and exciting features

..one such feature could be SG or FG modelling the sea level rise from
carbon emissions, we would need adding sea floor data to the scenery,
and modelling water as a fluid rather than an ellipsoid surface.

..to model all known sea levels possible, we need "tide water" rising
and dropping 150 meters above and below todays current sea level and
todays tide water.  Ties nicely in with weather modelling too.

..going beyond this, we could model carbon sinks like the oceans, the
woods, marshland and farming.  Some believe the Amazonas jungle is
pre-columbian slash-n-char wood based farmland, you find pockets of nice
fat farmland soil, way rich in carbon and known as "terra preta" and
with pieces of old charcoal in it.  Some suggest this kinda farming was
done for between 6000 to 20000 years.

..some suggest Maya "milpa" agriculture is a response to the European
invasion, dispensing with soil production from charcoal in favor of
slash-n-burn and mobility by shortening the cycle from 20 years to
2, 5 or 7 years.

.."yanking" down the 350 gigatons CO2 since AD 1600, "out of thin air",
and put it into soil to produce new farmland soil, will do 3 things I
find important, 1 provide an actual viable control response to the
global heat-up instead of todays politically correct emission rate
"reduction" joke, and 2 triple the volume of farmland soil worldwide
which, 3 will allow us feeding another 15 billion people on this
planet Earth.

..so, we _can_ show a viable alternative way forward.  We have all the
skills we need to do it.  And, us cranky old hobbyists doing a cranky
flight sim isn't as likely to land nice fat funds as a bunch of cranky
developers doing a flight 'n climate sim with real weather because we
hate todays politically correct stupidity like "cut emissions to 1990
levels." Etc.

..the only other viable option is, really, carry _on_ with the
demand cut scheme started on 9/11-2001, and take it beyond _all_
conspiracy theories.

..for that, there is no need to even do tide water in FG, nor to ditch
the 0.9.11 or 0.10.0 or 1.0 or whatever. (Nor would there be a need or
point in tying keys to check list style menus to dodge keyboard layout
etc issues.  Or even try evade Microsoft litigation trap tactics.)

> and aircraft?  We've been at this 10 years, have we really only managed a
> 0.9.xrelease in all that time?  Again, not that version number really
> mean anything, other than to project our image to the world.
>
> I say it's "go time". :-)
>
> Curt.

.. ;o)  GPL sea floor map data, anyone?

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: