On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 22:04 +0000, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> I've been working on a shader-based approach to creating random trees with
> help
> from Tim Moore.
>
> Here's a screenshot of what I've managed to achieve so far:
>
> http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/forest.jpg
>
> A patch which includes both the shader trees and improvements to the random
> object placement is available from
>
> http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/trees.tar.gz
>
> This isn't yet ready for inclusion in CVS, but worth having a play about with.
>
> Notes:
> - Currently all the trees of a given type on a tile will be the same size,
> shape
> and texture.
> - It's highly likely that this code leaks memory like a sieve.
> - The shader currently doesn't perform any diffuse lighting calculations. For
> some reason including the diffuse lighting causes a "flickering" effect,
> possibly
> due to the light source being so far away.
>
> Comments are of course welcome.

I get a lot of "FRAGMENT glCompileShader "" FAILED" error messages and
no trees.
I made a search on Google and it seems that my graphics card does not
support some extensions. It is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460 using the
1.0.9631-r1 driver, as it is called in Portage in Gentoo Linux. There is
a new version called 96.43.01 that supports my card, but I would like to
hear what you say, before I upgrade.