Gerard,

gerard robin wrote:

> Well,  i thought  that costline was calculated with the intersection of the
> sea level (or water level) and the ground altitude.
> I was wrong, my imagination was (is) out of  reality.      :)

No you're correct. The point is: Automagically calculating the
intersection of terrain with sea level is unreliable because a) the
elevation data is too inaccurate and b) tides make a huge difference -
which also adds to a).

My favourite place to demo is here - and, actually, comparing
coastlines was one of the most prominent motivations to start this
MapServer project several years ago (attention, long URL):

http://mapserver.flightgear.org/ms?img.x=363&img.y=307&layer=v0_landmass&layer=gshhs_coastline&layer=pgs&layer=swbd&zoomdir=0&zoomsize=2&imgxy=300.0+300.0&imgext=6.750212+53.529021+7.000212+53.779021&root=&savequery=true&program=%2Fms

The red one of these four coastlines, GSHHS, is sometimes a bit coarse
(when you have a _very_ detailed look at it) but it's still the most
accurate - it has seen manual review. The green one (VMap0) is the one
we're currently using. The two automagically derived coastlines (PGS
and SWBD) are both far off ....

You'll see similar results at New Orleans and many, many other places
in the world,

        Martin.