On 01/03/2009 10:04 AM, James Turner wrote:

> I.e, let's just normalise to [-1.0 .. 1.0] and be done with it.
> (Except, as Torsten just noted, the values can probably go slightly
> beyond that, since any clamping should be done at the panel-instrument
> level, not the receiver level).

OK.... So ....

  A) We are now agreed that deflection as a fraction
of full scale is a supported feature, not deprecated,
not scheduled to "rot", right?

  B) The proposal is to add a new output, just like
the old output, but with a different normalization
factor.  That's the main point of this thread, right?

  C) The old oddly-normalized output will continue to
be supported for the foreseeable future, since is doesn't
interfere with new features and preserves compatible
interoperation with older CDIs, right?

  D) Lesser points include:

 -- Outputs should not be clamped by the tuner.  Each
  CDI head may choose to peg the needles, or not, in
  its own way.

 -- Localizer sensitivity is runway-dependent.

 -- Dozens of other navradio.cxx bugs as discussed
  elsewhere.