On 3 Jan 2009, at 15:04, John Denker wrote:

> On 01/03/2009 06:58 AM, James Turner wrote:
>
>>  - everyone seems agreed that the GS is a 1.4 degree volume, so 0.7
>> degrees above and below the GS line.
>
> I concur.
>>

>> Please let's not confuse ICAO (which is quite general) with
> Mk-VIII (which is just one instrument).

> Please let's write code that works for all instruments, not
> "most" instruments or "most high-end" instruments.

Understood, see below...

>> Sooooo .... my inclination is to add the degrees deviation properties
>> as discussed, and to avoid 'dots' in the navradio code,
>
> Yes, dots are to be avoided.  Anything involving dots is
> just begging to be misunderstood.

Right :)

> DDM?  I can't imagine why anyone would want to mess with
> that level of detail.  Deflection as a fraction of full
> sector is all any Sim World instrument designer needs.
> Maybe once in ten years somebody should check that the
> full-sector width is what we think it is, but that's been
> done now.

Understood

>> Obviously I won't touch the existing 'deflection'
>> properties, but I hope over time they'll rot.
>
> I think they're just fine.  I don't see any need for
> additional complexity.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No, the *deflection* properties really are broken, because they're in
ambiguous units, I think (especially the magic factor-of-5 multiple
that started this thread). I am going to add 'deviation-degrees' for
both the LOC and GS, and I think that's what should be preferred going
forwards, especially once the full-sector is defined - which it seems
to be, now.

I'd still be inclined to include deviation-norm alongside deviation-
deg, i.e just do the divide by full-sector deviation inside the
navradio code, since I am sure this would make panel designers much
happier.

So:

        /instruments/navradio[n]/heading-deviation-deg: [-10.0 to 10.0 for a
VOR, -2.5 to 2.5 for a LOC] (i.e no 'magic 4' multiple for LOCs)
        /instruments/navradio[n]/heading-deviation-norm: [-1.0 .. 1.0]
        /instruments/navradio[n]/gs-deviation-deg: [-0.7 to 0.7]
        /instruments/navradio[n]/gs-deviation-norm: [-1.0 to 1.0]

Does this seem reasonable to all concerned? I'm happy to make these
changes, and then we can (separately!) consider using John's
sensitivity-as-a-function-of-runway-length logic, which seems to be
generally agreed as better than the current situation, but which I am
profoundly under-qualified to given an opinion upon :)

James