On 09/06/2009 08:13 AM, Durk Talsma wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I'm certainly open to the idea, but I don't think I'm able to manage that,
> since I'm both primarily responsible for organizing FSWeekend, and have been
> coordinating the releases in the last few years as well. Having two deadlines
> come up at the same time, in addition to teaching four courses (of which two
> are new -> lots of preparation), a deadline for a grant proposal, and a major
> review paper (both Sept 30), as well as serving on a PhD defense committee
> and
> preparing a symposium talk (Nov 2 and 3 respectively), I'm not sure whether
> I'm alive by the start of FSWeekend. :-)
>
> For this reason, my personal preference would be to continue regular
> development until FSWeekend, than allow us a few weeks for bugfixing and Beta
> testing. That would put the release around christmas time, which would be a
> lot more of an easy time for me.
>
> I agree with Heiko (see earlier post in this thread) that we should have a
> more careful beta testing period. Last year we had a few last minute
> check-ins
> that turned out to bite us. Let's try to circumvent that.

I'd prefer to shoot for having a strong beta to show at FSWeekend, then do a
release
around Christmas. I suppose this implies a "feature freeze" in the release
around the
1st of October. My preference would be to do the release like we did the
maintenance
release -- from a git branch that contains only selected patch sets from CVS.

In order to get users to actually test the beta, do we need to essentially cut
a release?

Tim