Hi George,

On Sep 6, 2009, at 10:38 PM, George Patterson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Tatsuhiro
> Nishioka<tat.fgmac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,Though I prefer an official release, I can live with beta release so we
>> can avoid killing Durk ;-)
>> I guess it is a good to have a release (in either official or beta) since we
>> can have lots of feedback reports that will
>> improve the quality of FG for the scheduled release in the next Christmas. I
>> also want to add that we have enough
>> features and bug-fixes for beta release. Shader effects and generic input
>> device are in progress, but I guess we can
>> improve these by FSWeekend (or Christmas).
>
> If you wait until something has improved, then you are running a risk
> of never releasing something as it's still improving.

I don't get what you mean by this, since none of my post above said to wait
until improvement, didn't it?
I said I'm for releasing, not for waiting.

>> By the way, is the version number going to be 1.9.2? I think it should be
>> 1.10.0 since it is not a maintenance release.
>> If we are going to have shadow effect working by Christmas, then we could go
>> to 2.0.0.
>>

> Current release is 1.9.1 so I'd be happy with 1.9.2. Using 1.10 is out
> as it's less than 1.9.1. Which brings up a good question, do we call
> the next version of FlightGear 2.0?

Maybe you misunderstand the versioning system.
1.10.0 IS newer than 1.9.1 with no doubt. if 1.10.0 is less than 1.9.1, then 10
is smaller than 9.
Plus, 1.10.0 is very different from 1.1.0.

We talked about how we should give a version number, and (I believe that) we
ended up with the following consensus:
Major version (first number) for big step: (e.g. shadows and landing lights for
2.0.0 IIRC)
Minor version (second number) for feature improvement, basically for scheduled
release.
Micro version (third number) for maintenance release. This is why we got 1.9.1
after 1.9.0 (since it was a bug-fix version of 1.9.0).

With this rule, the next release should be 1.10.0 (or 1.10.0 beta) unless
shadows and landing lights will be implemented until then.
If the next release actually is a maintenance release without new features like
shaders and generic input device, then it will be 1.9.2.

Tat