Tim Moore wrote:
> On 09/02/2009 09:19 PM, Curtis Olson wrote:
> >
> > Is this an argument to stay with CVS for the data portion of the project?
> >
> > This is a good point to bring up though in advance.  The default project
> > quota at code.google.com (is there a shorter
> > abbreviation?) is 1Gb so we'd be fine for SimGear and FlightGear code,
> > but we'd blow way over that for data.
> I think this is an argument for splitting up the aircraft into multiple
> repositories. The vast majority of space in data is used by the aircraft.
> With a small change to flightgear to support a path list for searching
> for aircraft, the unified data repository could be split into seperate repos
> for each aircraft author, or it could be arranged by theme (jets, warbirds,
> etc.)
> if people preferred that.
>
> I know that people do like the ease of finding a large source of downloadable
> aircraft in one place, in contrast to the MSFS world; the project could
> maintain
> a directory of links to available (and GPL compatible) aircraft.

I'm very strongly in favour of splitting the Aircraft off from the "core" data,
whatever
repository we end up using. The number and size of aircraft continues to grow,
far
faster than the size of the core data.

As well as reducing the size of a full checkout of the core data, it would help
differentiate between system level data vs. aircraft, and would easily allow
different
policies to be used on different repos.

It would also make it a bit easier to keep everything up-to-date. My last "cvs
up" of
data after a two week holiday took 10 minutes... almost all of which were
aircraft changes
and therefore not critical for getting my FG fix. ;)

I don't have a strong opinion on what VCS we use. I use SVN at work, and
haven't used
git. However, given that a large number of the active developers all use git,
it would seem
a somewhat strange notion to go in a completely different direction, even if it
allows us
to use code.google.com.

I'm not sure that the argument that git is harder to understand than CVS/SVN
for new
contributers will hold much water. FG contributors are all bright people, and
I'm sure will
manage. Of course, when I start having difficulties myself, don't forget to
force me to eat
my own words! :)

-Stuart