Hello,

> I don't know what that has to do with xml - it seems
> generic that if I
> increase the number of objects to render, the framerate
> drops. I can see
> the same thing with trees (which to my knowledge are not
> xml-wrapped
> models) - if I increase tree density by a factor 10, I see
> my framerate
> drop like a rock. 5000 additional models in the scenery
> will affect
> framerate, quite possibly inversely proportional to their
> texture quality
> and proportional to the operations required by the relevant
> shader -
> regardless if that's houses or clouds.

With 1.9.1 there wasn't a big difference between placing pure .ac-models and
.xml-wrapped models into scenery. Both had the same fps.

Now it is different. The same number of .ac-models  will give higher fps than
the same number of wrapped .xmls.

> The system (as far as my experience goes) isn't
> particularly slow in
> rendering the clouds once they are in the scene. It is slow
> in placing
> them into the scene - dramatically slower (a factor 1000 or
> so) than with
> the standard 3d clouds. If you want to call that 'wrong' is
> in the eye of
> the beholder - that's how the interface for model placement
> from Nasal is
> at present.

Hmm... I did not have found time for a detailed table of fps comparement, but
it seems to me that some of your clouds are decreasing fps more than the
default 3d-clouds. It looked different to me at the beginning, but making some
videos showed me this.

> That  slowdown for sure is generic for the way models
> are placed from
> Nasal - something appears to be *very* inefficient with
> that. I am rather
> skeptical if it's to be blamed on the xml wrapper - I see
> no supporting
> evidence. The dependence on texture type and detail level
> suggests to me
> that it's about uncompressing and loading textures into the
> GPU memory.

If I'm right, .xmls and nasal are handeld by the CPU.
The Default clouds are mostly done by the GPU.

Heiko