This is somewhat off-topic to FlightGear, so I apologize - but I respond to
John Denker: Having looked over what you are trying to do, I strongly recommend
using QGIS with the GRASS plugin.

Very rarely do I use any of GRASS' built-in visualization programs - and very
rarely do I use any of QGIS' built-in geospatial functions - but QGIS is the
best program I've found to visualize GRASS data at the moment (with the
possible, rare, exception of NVIZ).

In fact, I believe the whole GRASS d.mon was rewritten as of GRASS 7 and now
works differently (and hopefully better). I think most of the GRASS display
functions were very, very old.

Cheers
John