11: RC Pilot.  Stays under 400' AGL and outside a 3 mile radius from any
airport.  Probably flying at a club site and doesn't care about air spaces.
 Has no way to estimate if he's over or under 400' AGL and probably is
flying a plane that can climb 500' per second and hover at 2 clicks of
throttle.  Is annoyed when a VIP flies into the big airport 30 miles away
and his club field is just barely inside the TFR radius and he can't even go
out there and fly a paper airplane for several hours.

14: Drone Pilot.  Still waiting for the official regulations in the USA (I
think.)  Realizing if manned aviation was just invented this week, the FAA
would completely disallow it for safety reasons.  In the USA you can do
whatever you want in military airspace assuming you have proper permission
to be there.  We've flown at Schofield barracks in HI, in a navy operations
area north of Oahu (entirely over water the entire flight including launch
and recovery), at camp ripley (MN).  Hopefully later this fall up in AK,
etc.  That seems to be the path of least resistance ... get permission to
fly in military airspace and the FAA is entirely out of the picture.  Or you
can push through paperwork with the FAA to get a COA (certificate of
authorization) which is permission to operate in a specific area at specific
times with whatever specific other constraints the FAA wants to impose.
 When we were flying under a COA in the north pacific (1000nm north of
Hawaii) we had to put a call out for any local traffic before launch and
monitor some random frequency that FAA told us to monitor ... which was kind
of dumb because how many Cessna's are going to be flying 1000nm away from
the closest land?  Of those, how many are going to be flying under 500'
altitude?  And of those, how many would be chatting on the random frequency
the FAA picked for us?  We are from the government and we are here to help!
:-)

Curt.

Curtis Olson:
http://www.atiak.com - http://aem.umn.edu/~uav/