On 4 Oct 2011, at 13:53, James Turner wrote:

> Of course, I can't confirm or deny that suspicion until I upgrade the writer
> code path too :)

I've committed an updated BTG reader/writer to simgear/next, which supports the
current format, and a higher-versioned format with 32-bit indices. Based on
some conversions, 32-bit indices (all zeroes so far) compress down with gzip -9
to a tiny size increase over 16-bit indices (less than 4%), but I've also added
code on the write path to check the maximum index size, and select the output
format - so tiles will be in the current format until they exceed 2^16 vertices.

If someone could incorporate the revised sg_binobj.cxx from simgear/next into
simgear-cs, and verify the results with terragear, I'd be fascinated to know if
the 'swirlies' are gone!

(Or, of course, if you encounter any issues - perish the thought)

James