On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> I've already managed to use a second texture to mask where trees are
> placed. The following screenshot shows a golf course where I've used
> a mask so that the random trees are only placed in the rough.
>
> http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/golf.jpg

As an update on this, I've now written some code to apply the same
technique to the random objects and rotations, so the green channel
determines the random vegetation density, the blue channel determines
random object (i.e. building) density, and the red channel indicates the
rotation.

Using the DDS textures, the effects can be quite convincing:

http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/object_mask.jpg

Note that these are all "random" objects - none of the buildings or trees were
placed manually.

The rotations aren't perfectly aligned with the textures, but it's fairly close.

Vivian - are you anticipating the materials-dds.xml file replacing materials.xml
at some point? Any plans for further DDS texture work?

Creating the masks is a bit of work, and not something one would want to
do if the textures are likely to change.

-Stuart