Mathias

> On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 00:27:41 Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> > Vivian - are you anticipating the materials-dds.xml file replacing
> > materials.xml at some point? Any plans for further DDS texture work?
>
> Hmm, regarding dds.
> I have to say, that not all OpenGL drivers support texture compression,
> and
> the models with dds files, are those that I cannot display, because of
> that.
> And in fact this will not happen to the open source drivers before
> something
> about 2020 because of patent issues.
>
> Sorry to step in this so late - probably way too late - but is there a
> reason
> that the on disk format must be compressed?
> The previous strategy to have on disk an format that everybody can read
> and to
> make the driver compress them as needed/possible is better I think?
>
> So, for me the f16 lost its livery lately - where I can live with this for
> the
> f16, I hope that this does not happen to flightgear as a whole ...

There is no intention to migrate as a whole to .dds: it is offered as an
appearance and performance upgrade for those who wish to use it. It is up to
aircraft developers to decide which format they will use. Indeed - they
could provide models with either format so that the user could choose.

That said - why use drivers that cannot handle .dds compression formats? I
assume closed source drivers are OK?

Vivian