Vivian,

> There is no intention to migrate as a whole to .dds: it is offered as an
> appearance and performance upgrade for those who wish to use it. It is up to
> aircraft developers to decide which format they will use. Indeed - they
> could provide models with either format so that the user could choose.
>
> That said - why use drivers that cannot handle .dds compression formats?

Because there is no other driver. Like for the intel ones for example.
Because work on other interresting system stuff gets much more annoying with
any closed source driver. I just do not want to limit myself to flightgear - so
I really apprechiate that you could do even serious development to the closed
source drivers.
Because most stuff that the average linux user cares work perfect with the open
source driver stack. And that makes manny people just use these. Then when one
of them tries flightgear he will see that it does not work as expected and most
of them will then just never again try flightgear. Some of them will land here
and probably get saied that he should use an other driver. But most people
just don't ask and probably tell others that they have a new laptop but once
they tried flightgear, that boring game just does not work anymore ...

> assume closed source drivers are OK?
The ati and nvidia closed source drivers can do this.

So, I think the mipmap generation hangs with the nvidia drivers are a serious
problem. But just limiting everything to the use of exactly this driver where
this problem is worst cannot be a valid answer.

I would like to have a flightgear that is by default just running on every
average system. Having this run faster on a special configured system with some
better configuration options and hand tuned hardware and drivers is very fine.
But without tuning it must at least work in an acceptable way.

I have checked in a change to flightgear to make the use of the compressed
internal formats a starttime configuration option.
I am still interrested if we have that hangs also with texture compression
disabled and without providing precompressed dds textures?

Mathias