Mathias

> On Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:08:14 Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > I would suggest
> >
> > "Image "D:/Git_New/my_fgdata/Textures/Terrain/sand6.dds" uses compressed
> DDS
> > textures which may be unsupported by your video driver and not display
> > properly."
>
> Ok,
> Can you help me further:
>
> It's not limited to dds. If you use osgconv xxx.dds xxx.ivs you will
> probably
> have the same effect. So I think simply ommitting DDS is ok?
>
> Also, much more important, the comment is not about 'your video driver'.
> It is
> in your (Vivian) case even wrong. Your driver will display this fine.
> So, in the end I do not care if it is 'your particular video driver' that
> does
> not like this. You will just see this in the best case as the models look
> wrong, and in the worst case fgfs just crashes the driver if these
> textures
> are used.
> What I really care about is that these files are expected not to work on a
> huge
> amount of graphics boards out there. The point is to tell people doing
> textures that they should omit compression so that this message disapears.
> Ideas how to write this?

If what we want to do is to alert users, we could use this:

"Image "D:/Git_New/my_fgdata/Textures/Terrain/sand6.dds" uses compressed
textures which may be unsupported by your system and may not display
properly."

 Such a message could be displayed on the splash screen of individual models
rather then as alert, on the assumption that the many users never see the
console which is hidden behind the fgrun window.

On the other hand, if you are trying to tell aircraft modelers not to use
these forms (.dds .ivs) of compression, then:

"Image "D:/Git_New/my_fgdata/Textures/Terrain/sand6.dds" uses compressed
textures which may be unsupported some systems. To remove this alert,
decompress this texture."

My concern with the latter form is that it only applies to very limited
number of aircraft models and developers, while it is at best meaningless to
the user, and may lead to confusion.

Vivian