Hi all, Martin,

________________________________
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net>wrote:
>
> In the mid of the last decade I've been one of those who realized that
> developing a long-term strategy for the various FlightGear Scenery
> ressources would be a Really Good Idea.

In fact, in my opinion, the real big strength of FG over other sims (apart the
fact its
free & opensource) is its capacity to be pulled/pushed centrally, either by Git
or through
central databases. Our architecture enables us to avoid having hundreds of
scenery
or aircraft sites everywhere, with multiple patches and software to download and
update - those of you who have been using other sims know what I'm talking
about.

This is a real strength. Let's not make it a weakness.

Because, I feel - just like Martin - there are more and more "political" posts
showing
that everyone does not feel the same. Maybe a language barrier - maybe something
not understood about this or the way the FG project "works", sometimes sad
licensing
or human issues.

The scenery generation part of FG, which is mostly unknown of many of us,
deserves a proper attention - I recently began to understand a small part of
the way
it works, and it's a highly complicated, still so important part of FG.

Maybe we need to make more talks about it, to talk about the way it works in the
Wiki or in the newsletter or here, but this takes a lot of time too.

Everyone wants to have a better scenery in FG. However, it's not possible on
such
a big project as FG, to leave the responsability - and maintenance - and
evolution -
and validation - of such critical parts of FG to just one or two persons. Not
good for
them, not good for the project. And it's also true that most of this work is
not known
or even noticed. Meanwhile, it's easy to complain and say "we deserve better
scenery".

Martin - I'm talking for me but for many also - be sure the work you've done and
you're doing has a real sense.

You are getting overloaded by submissions, and you just can't be working on the
scenery validation, the scenery generation, and the work on the tools
themselves.

To reduce the overload you encounter, I've been working on webtools to try to
make
submission, edition, deletion of scenery objects easier. There is still some
work there,
and I hope to have all of them finished by the end of the summer.

To reduce this load even more, I would suggest:

- to start thinking of having regional maintainers - 1 per continent, for now,
managing
scenery submissions, while someone keeps monitoring the whole process;
- to have one or two more people interested in GIS and able to second you on
maintaining
and upgrading the scenery generation process;
- to continue the work on the scenery web tools to reduce this unbearable human
load.

I really feel a strong manpower in FG on aircrafts, on shaders and weather
items, sometimes
relying on individuals or on teams, meanwhile the scenery "backoffice" really
lacks more
talented people like you.

Olivier