Am Freitag, den 24.02.2012, 09:41 +0000 schrieb Martin Spott:
> >From my perspective the really relevant paragraph in my posting is this
> one:

> Basically I see two different approaches in FlightGear Scenery world
> (aside from a few minor blends):
> 1.) Focus all ressources on one common World Scenery.
> 2.) Build pools of individual (and sometimes even contradicting)
>     scenarios - also known as the M$FS way.
>
> It's obvious that 1.) was the one I tried to accomplish.  I was
> convinced that, as a non-commercial OpenSource project, we could do
> "better".  Anyhow it's obvious that 2.) draws magnitudes more developer
> ressource and the gap is steadily increasing.  I've even watched people
> explicitly trying to persuade/convince contributors _not_ to contribute
> to common, collaborative Scenery ressources - and, what's really sad,
> not one single voice objected.

You're absolutly right.

In my opinion a key for success of 1.) is to NOT promote individual
scenery projects on the official FlightGear places.

So i suggest to remove all urls that do link to such individual scenery
projects from the FlightGear website, the wiki and even postings on the
flightgear forum.
Especially the latter might be very important.

If we make sure by force that individuals can't promote their own
scenery project on the forum or any other official place on FlightGear
they will have no laudation on their individual scenery projects.

This will nip individual scenery projects in the bud and will hopefully
lead to the way that such persons will freely submit their work to the
common World Scenery.

So 1.) can be ensured by force. Removing the urls is the key for that.
Forum moderators are able to do that.

As long as individual scenery projects can be promoted and guarantee
that way that such individuals will get attention for their one man show
2.) will stay attractive.
The key is to make 2.)  unattractive by removing the promoting links to
those individual projects.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.