On 25 Apr 2012, at 14:56, Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> One benefit is better culling.  The other is that we can have
> buildings gradually appear rather than all springing into view at once
> when you get within the LoD range of the center of the time (where
> objects at the edge might be significantly closer)

This doesn't fit my understanding (but I'm almost certainly wrong)

I was under the impression:

        - culling at the primitive level is slow, so if any part of the
bounding volume of the build drawable is visible, just send the whole lot, it's
already in a VBO on the GPU anyway...

        - LOD would show the drawable/geode as soon as any corner is close
enough to the viewer, not the centre

Both of these things will cause more 'drawing', but with less time on cull and
no issue with popping. And the drawing should be fast for all the reasons we
already know.

Of course, in this particular case the drawing is slow, but that seems a highly
specific bug. Which I really hope I can find a work-around for.

James