On Thursday, November 22, 2012 21:44:03 ThorstenB wrote:

> navradio is the current/old standard, newnavradio is the new module.
> Most aircraft use "navradio", few "newnavradio". I'm not sure if there
> is a plan to switch/replace the old radio at some point, and whether the
> new module was compatible with the old etc. But for now, both are there.
> TorstenD is the expert here.
>
> cheers,
> Thorsten

Ok, here is a comparison using the classic navradio code before and after
adding radio propagation calculations:

Before: http://wiki.flightgear.org/images/e/e0/Vor_no_itm.png
After: http://wiki.flightgear.org/images/c/c6/Vor_itm.png

Test performed using C172p trying to receive DVA VOR/DME.
The distance is approx 80 km with no line of sight (hills, small mountains,
valleys). In both cases the aircraft is on ground, tuned to the frequency of
the VOR/DME station. In the first case we have reception and needle
deflection, in the second case, as we can clearly see to the right, the radio
link budget is simply insufficient to clear the obstacles, despite the high
power of the station. No reception, no needle deflection.

Cheers,
Adrian