On 2010-07-09, at 12:56 AM, Colin Putney wrote:
> On 2010-07-08, at 9:21 PM, Steve Dekorte wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the response. That kind of sounds like the goal is fewer lines of
>> code (and presumably less labor) per unit of function (increasing
>> productivity). Is that correct?
>
> Well, I don't speak for Alan, but I have to think it's a bit more than that.
> The biggest problem we have in computing is that we're terrible at it. Just
> the other day I remarked to a colleague that the system we were working on
> had about 10x too much code for what it did, and he agreed. So yes, less code
> for the same functionality might (might!) be higher productivity, but it's
> also a rough measure of quality. Writers seek economy of words, athletes seek
> economy of motion, we seek economy of code.

I agree that labor including maintenance (which may include understandability,
extendability, etc) is a better end measure but that code length (or maybe
keystrokes, etc) can be a reasonable starting point for measuring it.

Btw, this discussion may sound trivial, but consider the question: "Is
computing technique X is better than Y?" We need to know by what measure it's
"better" for the question to be meaningful. And without a measure that matches
one's goals, decisions made on their basis may be counterproductive.