Hello Alan,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> For example, one of the many current day standards that was dismissed
> immediately is the WWW (one could hardly imagine more of a mess).

I was talking to a friend the other day about the conversations going on in
this mailing list - my friend firmly believes that the Web (HTTP) is one of
the most important innovations in recent decades.

One thing he cites as innovative is a point that I think TimBL mentions
often: that the Web was successful (and not prior hypertext systems)
because it allowed for broken links.

Is that really a good architectural choice? If not, is there a reason why
the Web succeeded, where previous hypertext systems failed? Is it only
because of "pop culture"?

What are the architectural flaws of the current Web? Is there anything that
could be done to make it better, in light of these flaws?

--
Duncan.