On 1 March 2012 03:59, Reuben Thomas <r...@sc3d.org> wrote:
> On 1 March 2012 01:40, Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1 March 2012 02:46, Reuben Thomas <r...@sc3d.org> wrote:
>>> On 29 February 2012 23:09, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> [Recapitulation snipped]

>>> Not really, it was just a reimplementation of the same thing on cheap
>>> modern hardware.

>>> Javascript is plenty fast enough to run a simulated x86 booting Linux
>>> and running applications:
>>>
>>> http://bellard.org/jslinux/
>>>
>>> Granted, it shouldn't be necessary to go via Javascript.

>>> ~40% these days. Things move fast.
>>>
>>> The degree to which the "mess" we're in is avoidable (or, I'd go
>>> further, even undesirable) is also exaggerated.
>>>

>> But this is not about penetration.
>
> Alan seemed to think penetration mattered; I had some good news.
>
>> It is clear, as to me, that NaCl is the only way to make web better
>> living place.
>> You say Javascript is fast?
>> Now can you tell me, how i can run and manage multiple parallel threads in
>> it?
>
> Like this:
>
> http://www.sitepoint.com/javascript-threading-html5-web-workers/

wonderful. so, in 5 years (put less if you want) i can be sure that my
app can run on every machine on any browser,
and i don't have to put "update your browser" warning.
What a relief!
<end of sarcasm>

> Don't complain that the future is late arriving. The future is already
> here, perhaps just not quite in the shape we hoped. And the big news
> is that it never will be quite in the shape we'd like; there will be
> no complete solution.

The big news is that mileage can be much shorter if you go right way.
Once half-baked JavaScript now evolved into a full-fledged virtual machine.
I am so happy about it. But the problem is that it is not <put your
favorite language> virtual machine.
And not just a virtual machine.
Can i ask, why i forced to use javascript as a modern assembly language for web?
As to me, this language is not good enough to serve at such level.
From this point, it is inherently not complete and never will be, and
will always stand between you and your goals.

> Rousseau got this right over 200 years ago: his book "The Social
> Contract", which tried to do for the organisation of society what FONC
> is trying to do for computing, took for its starting point "people as
> they are and laws as they might be". Most visionaries would do well to
> copy that first part.
>
> --
> http://rrt.sc3d.org

Best regards,