Hi Reuben

Yep. One of the many "finesses" in the STEPS project was to point out that
requiring OSs to have drivers for everything misses what being networked is all
about. In a nicer distributed systems design (such as Popek's LOCUS), one would
get drivers from the devices automatically, and they would not be part of any
OS code count. Apple even did this in the early days of the Mac for its own
devices, but couldn't get enough other vendors to see why this was a really big
idea.

Eventually the OS melts away to almost nothing (as it did at PARC in the 70s).

Then the question starts to become "how much code has to be written to make the
various functional parts that will be semi-automatically integrated to make
'vanilla personal computing' " ?

Cheers,

Alan