Arved, thanks for the status update. Looking forward to .20.3, and would
love to get a rough, non-binding idea when the redesign might be
accomplished.

FYI, here's what I gleaned from looking into the three alternate
solutions you mentioned. I would love to hear more details/corrections
from the experts on this board.

Antenna House - Windows only, no good for us.

XEP - needs TeX, not sure if I want to hassle with it or if it would
ever fly w/our infrastructure guys

RenderX - fits requirements. Someone else tested it but said he couldn't
get access to the API from demo--only batch mode. I've heard anecdotal
evidence that it is no faster than FOP. Would love to hear more from
anyone else w/firsthand experience. I'll try get it set up to benchmark
large reports in batch mode if I get a chance.

I have another guy looking into faceless as a possible solution for
generating PDFs of very large, relatively simple reports. I'd love to
stay within xsl:fo though.

Thanks for all your hard work,
Matt Savino