Hi Michael

> Sigh, this is getting long, please bear with me here.

It doesn't make so much sense go on a lot further, but to make things
clear about Avalon and LogKit, I think I have to explain something about
Avalon:

There's LogKit, a logging facility, similar to Log4J for example. It has
a class named org.apache.log.Logger which FOP currently uses for logging.
As has nothing to do with Avalon except that it came out from that
project. LogKit does not use Avalon.

And then, there's org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Loggable, an
interface (yes, I know it's deprecated) defining a contract on how to
provide logging for a component/object (not how to log per se). The
reason it's deprecated is that it's bound to LogKit.

Now, there's org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled which
replaces Loggable. It defines the same contract as Loggable except that
it's bound to the org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger interface
(which corresponds to your LoggingHandler).

Most probably FOP will just shift from using org.apache.log.Logger to
org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger. This will remove logkit.jar
and add the somewhat smaller avalon-framework.jar.

As a aside to your previous mail: I agree with most of what you said.
But I think you have some fears because you know too little of Avalon. I
hope the above clears some of this. And I guarantee you that the Avalon
solution will in no way get more difficult than your proposal. We just
want to use a tiny part from Avalon where logging is concerned and an
embedder will not have to learn the Avalon way if he doesn't want to.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch