Jeremias Maerki wrote:
On 15.02.2003 18:05:31 Christian Geisert wrote:
[..]

<sidenote>
While doing a quick search for other hyphenation optiones I've
found a hyphenation dictionary which is based on the TeX
hyphenation tables and licensed under GNU LGPL ...
</sidenote>
Do you have a link? LGPL is not unproblematic as could be seen in recent
http://whiteboard.openoffice.org/lingucomponent/download_dictionary.html?JServSessionIdservlets=v100ota723#hyphenation
See README in hyph_de_DE.zip
But I'm not proposing to use those patterns, I was just wondering if it's ok to re-license it under LGPL.

discussions on community@. I would want clearance from higher up before
we used and (a different topic) redistributed the hyphenation patterns.
I can take this to the PMC and to licencing if necessary.
+1

[..]

Todos, as I see them:
- Remove all incompatible hyphenation files from CVS which are not clear
  to be ok.
So remove everything excpet fi, pl and pt?

- Find Apache-compatible hyphenation files.
Would be the best solution.

- Contact the authors of non-GPL and non-LPPL hyphenation files for
  permission to use and redistribute their hyphenation files.
Could be troublesome (for example the german pattern file mentions three authors)
Any volunteers?

- Maybe write a parser for Tex hyphenation files so they can be directly
  read by FOP (without conversion to XML, so people can download the
  hyphenation files themselves and make them responsible to follow the
  individual licences)
IIUC we don't have to change the way the pattern are read, the problem is the distribuition.
For example it should be ok if we create a new SourceForge project with
just the hyphenation patterns and license it under LPPL. Then people could download the jar, put it in the lib dir and everything should be fine.

- Maybe adjust FOP so it is more flexible reading hyphenation files.
- Add something to future release notes about hyphenation.

Jeremias Maerki
Christian