Clay Leeds wrote (on May 27, 2003):

> To: FOP-Dev
> Subject: A couple of FAQ items
>

> XSL FAQ:
> The XSL FAQ link is incorrect. It is currently:
>
>    http://dpawson.co.uk/xsl/
>
> showing the directory contents of "Index of xsl/"... It should be:
>
>    http://dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html

Again, my apologies for being so slow -- cleaning out old to-do items. I
think we have moved all similar items to the "Other" resources page. Will
you please look to see if you still think changes are needed here?

> HYPHENATION INFO:
>    3.9. Hyphenation does not work.
>
>    Set the language attribute somewhere. Check whether you use a
>    language for which hyphenation is supported. Supported languages
>    can be deduced from the files in the hyph directory of the FOP
>    source distribution.
>
> Adding examples of how to add hyphenation would limit the number of
> questions fop-user (perhaps something like this--or whatever might work):
>
>    <fo:root lang="pt">

I think that someone has already added this. I just reworked it a bit.

> Also, to determine the included hyphenation patterns in FOP, one
> currently has to download the Source distribution and look in the hyph
> directory (at the very least, it would be better to indicate "hyph/"
> directory). Even better would be to indicate which languages are
> included. Also, this would be a good place to indicate where one might
> find links to hyphenation patterns which do work (or provide a link to
> the Resources page where there might be links to other hyph

I just now added this to the new hyphenation page (in CVS).

> patterns--and also info on how to "convert", say TeX patterns to
> FOP-usable ones). (NOTE: I understand there are problems with including

I don't know if there are standard tools to do this or not. I don't think it
would be very hard to write a little sed script to handle this, but maybe
there is already something available. If you would, please research this and
report back, then we'll figure out what should happen here.

> copyrighted hyphenation patterns in the FOP distribution, but aren't
> there patterns for which people may download patterns but their licenses
> simply do not allow them to be included in Apache stuff?).

I think Jeremias has this covered with a link to the CTAN archives (the link
is now on the hyphenation page). If you know of other sources, please report
back & we'll get them added.

As usual, thanks very much for your input.

Victor Mote