-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Bowditch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 10 August 2004 6:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AFP Renderer

Glen Mazza wrote:
> There are already other AFP Renderers for FOP
> 0.20.5--actually Hansuli has it in our resources page:
>
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/resources.html

I agree with Pete here - this AFP renderer is too disjointed and has a
few
limitations which make it too unpractical.

> And--amazing what Google searches turn up--Keiron also
> created one for FOP apparently:
>
> http://www.aftexsw.com/personal/resume.html

Interesting, I never knew that either!

Well I did it for an internal project and was never allowed to release
the code so it has remained unchanged and closed for some time now. I
still believe that all is needed is for someone to start put the code
into the public. The basic format (although binary and a bit difficult
to understand) is not that hard once you get the idea.

I wouldn't think there are any licensing issues since the format specs
are available in to the public.

> But if you wish to donate code to the ASF, you are
> welcome to submit it as a patch--in either 0.20.5 or
> 1.0 format.  (I caution though that the 1.0 rendering
> system architecturally is not finalized.)  We can
> possibly leverage it along with the others in the
> future.
>
> The fact that we don't have native support for it
> already, however, could mean that there were licensing
> issues involved with its inclusion (or the fonts it
> uses, perhaps).  This may be an IBM-only technology
> for which you must use IBM-only products--I don't
> know.

I dont think there are any licensing issues. AFP is a widely used print
format. I have worked on software products dealing with AFP before.

Chris