If you look at my initial post for the vote you'll see my main reasons
for getting this started. If we want to be clean about following ASF
policy then we would have had to invest more time sorting out the
problems. I think the patterns that remained until the end were not
tainted as such. They are merely derived works from other people from
which we would need grants to be on the safe side as far as ASF
licensing policy is concerned. So in this light it was a blanket
decision to get out of the hyphenation pattern business. If someone
starts creating hypenation patterns under a BSD or Apache license that
would be great, of course.

For reference:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPAudits/March2003