Last update for now:

>> - When I link to those destinations as relative URLs, like this:
>>
>>     external-destination="nbackup.pdf#nbackup-dochist"
>>
>>   then sometimes my browser opens the document on the right spot, and
>>   sometimes it opens at the top of the file. This is independent of
>>   the link, i.e. if a click again on an already visited link, it may
>>   turn out right where it first was wrong, or vice versa.
>>   The browser always displays the intended location in the URL bar,
>>   even if it went top-of-file:
>>
>>     file:///F:/FOP/FO-files/nbackup.pdf#nbackup-dochist

After putting the files online, everything worked perfectly - for a
while. Only after lots and lots of clicking did Firefox seem to get
confused and started to land on wrong spots (either top of file, or
another existing named destination.)

MSIE made a mess of it right from the start.

In case anybody wants to play with this, the files are at:

  http://vinkenoog.nl/test/

The one containing the links is dests.pdf, the target file is
nbackup.pdf

.fo sources are also there, as well as Jay's test files.

Kind regards,
Paul Vinkenoog