I only meant that if we replace the RTF capability with something
equivalent.  I use the RTF generation so that I can then convert a few
things to MS Word (can't ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room).  I
think "ODF" was in the post I replied to, so I just used that as an
example.

What I do now is the following:

doc.xml --------------|
doc.pdf
                      |--> XSLT ENGINE --> doc.fo  --> FOP  --> {
doc.rtf }
translator_doc.xsl
--|                                             .....

Putting something into FOP to generate ODF wouldn't make much sense,
IMHO.  I think it'd just be another xslt script to translate the FO file
to ODF.  Or write a plug-in for OpenOffice to read in FO files
(obviously another project!).

I think we'll lose users if we don't keep something that lets them
generate docs that are interoperable with the 800 pound gorilla.  How we
do that is the question.

Just my 2 cents....

-- Mark C. Allman,
PMP