Apache Ant is our build tool used to compile FOP. http://ant.apache.org
See also: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/compiling.html

> I'll try the Eclipse setup.  Thanks Jeremias for this:
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPIDESetupGuide should help here.
>
> I tried that link and it says I need Subclipse.  I try the link to download
> on this site:
> http://subclipse.tigris.org/subclipse/changes.html
> It says I need a username and password to login to their server.

Just use http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x as Eclipse Update Site
to install the Subclipse plug-in. No login required.

But you can also skip Subclipse and set up your Eclipse project from
another FOP working copy made with some other SVN client. Using
Subclipse is just one way to do it.

> I did identify the jai jars I need.  I just don't know where to find them.  I
> tried downloading them from here:
> https://jai-imageio.dev.java.net/binary-builds.html#Stable_builds
> Using the link to the file jai_imageio-1_1-lib-windows-i586-jar.zip I
> just get a zip file containing one jar which contains an exe which
> wants to install tools.  Is there a place to download those 2 jars or do I
> find them from that install?

I don't think so. The installation executable is there because they
install a native DLL alongside the JARs. You could install it, copy away
the two JARs and then uninstall it again. The native part is not
strictly required.

Feel free to improve the Wiki page as you see fit.