I solved the issues this morning.
I looked up Eclipse and ant building and determined that build project
doesn't work.
Instead of using the normal Build Project option, I have to open the
project, find the build.xml, right click it, and select Run As ant
build.
Of course to make that work I had to download 3 jars separately and add
them to the build path.
ant.jar
http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi
fop-hyph.jar
http://cdnetworks-us-2.dl.sourceforge.net/project/offo/offo-hyphenation/
1.2/offo-hyphenation-fop-stable_v1.2.zip
jai-core-1.1.3-alpha.jar
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven/geoserver/maven/jai/jars/ja
i-core-1.1.3-alpha.jar

Ant was the easiest to find.  The others took a bit of digging. I'm not
sure that's the official location for the jai but that jar works.
I got a warning on a jre reference in the build path so I removed that
and added the JRE System Library.
Adding the 3 jars and using the ant option on the build.xml worked for
the 0.95 source and the trunk.

Now the question is, where's the what's new?  What's the difference
between 0.95 and the trunk?