On 21 Feb 2011, at 21:18, Eric Douglas wrote:

> I always had trouble with the ant build.
> Currently my ant build gets no errors and no warnings and creates fop.jar
> though it tells me junit and xmlunit are not found.
> Last time I put jars in my fop lib folder for junit and xmlunit it told me
> they were found and it wouldn't update the fop jar.

If there's already a set of precompiled classes, and none of the sources have
changed, there is no need to update the jar. If you just run 'ant compile' or
'ant package', neither JUnit nor XMLUnit are required for a successful build.
Compiler warnings are not errors, and as such do not prevent a correct build.

> How can I get hundreds or even thousands of warnings from trying to use the
> eclipse build project option with the default settings while the ant build
> has no errors?

The 'ant compile' task does show a hint of those warnings, IIC. Look for "Note:
some classes use unchecked or unsafe operations."
If I were to guess, I'd say your IDE probably compiles with '-Xlint:unchecked',
which displays all the gruesome details.

Regards,

Andreas
---